Artist Membership Information 2017
The Arts Guild of Sonoma is a nonprofit artists’ collective in which every member fully participates in the business of running our gallery. Founded in 1977, we are spending 2017 celebrating our 40th anniversary and our status as one of California’s oldest, continuously operating artists’ cooperatives.
Artist Membership Benefits
Artist members in the Arts Guild of Sonoma enjoy these benefits:
- Show your artwork in the gallery from 4 to 11 months a year
- Display images of your artwork on our artsguildofsonoma.org website and link to your personal website
- Display images of your artwork on the Guild’s Facebook page and link to your personal Facebook page
- Display images of your art work for sale in our new on line store
- Display your business cards in the gallery
- Sell your matted prints from art bins in the gallery
- Sell your greeting cards from card racks in the gallery
- Sell your small artwork (less than $100) from the “Small Works” display case in the gallery
- Display your artist’s binder in the gallery for buyers’ reference
- Teach art workshops/classes for children, teens and adults in our affiliate – ArtEscape
- Mentoring program to assist you through your first 2 months of membership
Artist Membership Responsibilities
The Arts Guild of Sonoma is a nonprofit public benefit corporation, supported and maintained by our Artist members. Each Artist member has a responsibility to fully participate in the business of our gallery. Please consider all of the following information when deciding whether membership in the Guild is a good fit for you.
Exhibiting Artist members are required to sign a contract for the months they intend to exhibit work with the Arts Guild for as few as 4 months or as many as 11 months per year. Annual contracts are due within four weeks of receipt of the contract.
Annual Membership Fee of $120
An annual gallery fee of $120 must be paid by January 15th for each year in which you show your work in the gallery. For members joining later in the year the fee will be pro-rated from the month you are able to exhibit your work and is payable when you sign a contract to be an exhibiting artist in the Guild.
Artists pay fees for each month their work is exhibited, payable the day the show is installed, as follows:
|$70||2-D half-space – 4 ft. wide wall space||Limited to 42″ of actual art within the space|
|$140||2-D full-space – 8 ft. wide wall space||Limited to 7′ of actual art within the 8’ space|
|$70||3-D – 4 ft. space||Floor or pedestal surface|
|$140||3-D – 8 ft. space||Floor or pedestal surface|
- Print Bins $7
- Card Racks $5
- Small Artworks Display: $5
Gallery Commissions on Sales
Artwork sold in the gallery is subject to a commission, based on the following schedule:
|Number of Months Exhibiting||Gallery Commission|
|4 to 6||25%|
|More than 6||20%|
· Any discount offered by the Guild on art sales is split between Gallery and Artist equally.
· The commission on an Artist’s outside sales related to works that have been shown in the Gallery is 10% to the Gallery.
· Cap on sales – For individual artwork sales for up to $10,000, the Gallery receives the contract commission. For individual artwork sales above $10,000, the commission to the Gallery is 5%.
· Credit card service charges are borne by the artist.
Exhibiting artists work in the gallery and perform required operational duties (e.g., recording sales, ) during the months that they exhibit, as follows:
|Gallery Hours||Gallery Space Purchased|
|4 hours||One-half space|
|8 hours||Full space|
Note: When an Exhibiting Artist cannot fulfill their gallery hours obligation, he/she can arrange for the hours to be worked. Gallery coordinator (or exhibiting Guild artists) may substitute for your hours. Cost: usually $15/hour to be negotiated between you and the member working your hours.
Exhibiting Artists are assigned a gallery/Guild job which they are responsible for performing regularly throughout the year, regardless of the months in which they exhibit and separate from their exhibition-related gallery commitments. All jobs are critical to the Guild’s operation.
We attempt to match you with a job that works with your skill set. These are some jobs, though they are not all available at all times:
- Officer of the Guild
- Guild Board of Directors
- Application Committee
- Installation Committee
- Monthly Opening Receptions – coordinating, setting up or clean-up
- Annual Fundraiser Committee
- Events Committee
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Maintenance (e.g., cleaning, lighting, painting)
Questions? Please contact Kirk Hinshaw, Application Committee Chair, by phone: (707) 495-6642 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org (put “Application” in the subject line of the email).
Our gallery is located just off historic Sonoma Plaza, a year-round tourist destination for visitors from all over the world. Through our prime venue, we continuously expose our artist members’ works to new viewers. We also host monthly gallery receptions to provide valuable opportunities for our artist members to meet and engage with prospective buyers and local art patrons.
Over the years, hundreds of artists of diverse ages, careers and artistic backgrounds and working in various media have participated in the Guild. Many current members are award-winning artists, and many show their work throughout the U.S. We welcome new artists to join our creative family, live our purpose, and develop and grow within our artistic community.
To download a PDF of this information, please click here: Arts Guild of Sonoma artist membership info 2017